Implementing lifestyle changes into your daily routine can be challenging. Although it can be somewhat difficult, it is extremely beneficial to your health. Most people have the misconception that living a healthy lifestyle is boring, expensive, and tiring. The truth is, eating better and implementing physical activity into your daily routine can help decrease stress, help with depression, and increase the longevity of your life. Below are five simple things that you can do to take an active interest in the welfare of your health.
1. TIP NUMBER ONE: Reduce the amount of snacks you eat throughout the day. Snacks do not sustain your appetite and hunger. Try implementing more whole foods into your diet that are high in fiber. Foods such as sweet potatoes, spinach, blackberries, brown rice, bananas, eggs, and avocados will sustain your hunger throughout the day.
2. TIP NUMBER TWO: Implement physical activity 3-5 times out of your week for at least 30 minutes. Physical activity includes, but is not limited to, walking on the track, dancing, swimming, running, boxing, lifting weights, playing a sport, and climbing the stairs. If you are someone who has never engaged in any type of physical activity, start with walking the treadmill, exercising on an elliptical, or exercising on a bike. Try to do this for at least 30 minutes a day and you will see a drastic change in your body and energy levels.
3. TIP NUMBER THREE: Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night. Retaining the proper amount of sleep is vital to your mental and physical health. Sleep helps reduce stress, puts you in a better mood, helps burn calories, lowers your blood sugar, and helps maintain your weight.
4. TIP NUMBER FOUR: Decrease the amount of carbohydrates and sugar you intake daily. The average adult should consume between 100-250 carbohydrates a day. For individuals interested in losing weight, try to keep your carbohydrates between 50-100 grams. Furthermore, the average person should only consume between 25-38 grams of sugar a day. Those numbers may seem like a lot, but it is not when most foods contain over 25 grams of carbohydrates and 20 grams of sugar in one serving. Be more aware of what your body is consuming by reading the labels of your food items.
5. TIP NUMBER FIVE: Drink half of your body weight in ounces of water each day. For example, if you weigh 180 pounds, drink at least 90 ounces of water a day. Drinking water has many benefits such as boosting skin and body health, supporting better digestion, and regulating body temperature.
These five tips will help improve your mental and physical health. Implementing lifestyle changes into your life is a process. Do not rush it and try adding one tip a week into your daily routine.