Mashayla A. Dyson is a Senior Agriculture major with a focus in Animal Science at Alcorn State University and she is a woman to be reckoned with.
Dyson was born on February 3, 2001 and was raised in Amite, Louisiana. She currently serves as the Animal Science Club President for the 2022-2023 academic school year. She describes herself as being a diligent scholar, a compassionate leader, an individual who loves helping others, and a student with a passion for learning Agriculture.
“I’ve always had a love for animals. I’ve had a passion for it since I was in high school and I started at 11-years-old showing livestock at Southern University,” stated Dyson. Upon coming to Alcorn, she didn’t know what to major in so she did a deep dive into Agriculture which lead her to concentrating on Animal Science. As the current Animal Science Club President she has managed to successfully secure The Animal Science Club their first tour of Louisiana State University’s School of Veterinary Medicine.
Here are a few organizations that Dyson is or has been a member of:
- President’s List Honoree, Southern A&M University Livestock Show, Participating in 2017 and Grand Champion 2019
- Student Government Association Senate Representative and Event Planning Committee (2019-2020)
- Student Ambassador Special Advisor since 2019
- Adopt-A-Freshman (mentee 2019)
- Minorities in Agriculture Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS 2019-2020)
- Animal Science Club President
- National Society of Leadership and Success member since 2019
- A member of the Student Support Services since 2019
- USDA 1890 Scholar in 2020
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated
Alongside her academic achievements, Dyson is also a hair stylist and has a small business here on Alcorn’s campus where she makes wigs, does installs, customizations and makes birthday pins and bows. She stated, “I have a tendency to keep myself busy now so that I can be more successful in the future.”